Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our focus

I was singing and bathing at the same time last week...
I was reminded of the song, "five loaves and two fishes" by Corrinne May...
As i sang, i started to realise somethings...
Here is the lyrics of the song...



A little boy of thirteen was on his way to school
He heard a crowd of people laughing and he went to take a look
Thousands were listening to the stories of one man
He spoke with such wisdom, even the kids could understand
The hours passed so quickly, the day turned to night
Everyone was hungry but there was no food in sight
The boy looked in his lunchbox at the little that he had
He wasn't sure what good it'd do, there were thousands to be fed
But he saw the twinkling eyes of Jesus
The kindness in His smile
And the boy cried out
With the trust of a child

He said:"Take my five loaves and two fishes
Do with it as you will
I surrender
Take my fears and my inhibitions
All my burdens, my ambitions
You can use it all to feed them all

"I often think about that boy when I'm feeling small
And I worry that the work I do means nothing at all
But every single tear I cry is a diamond in His hands
And every door that slams in my face, I will offer up in prayer
So I'll give you every breath that I have
Oh Lord, you can work miracles
All that you need is my "Amen"

So take my five loaves and two fishes
Do with it as you willI surrender
Take my fears and my inhibitions
All my burdens, my ambitions
You can use it all
I hope it's not too small
I trust in you
I trust in you

So take my five loaves and two fishes
Do with it as you will I surrender
Take my fears and my inhibitions
All my burdens, my ambitions
You can use it all
No gift is too small

You see all the bolded words?
These are the things that i am going to focus on today..

Just imagine yourself as the boy...when you look at what you have in the lunchbox, it is so so little, how can it be possible for food that is not enough for even one adult to consume to feed thousands?
why is it so hard of me, if i was a boy to believe so?

The several disappointments that we face in life,
disappointments relating to God and christianity led us to think feel discouraged and think that many things are impossible to happen..
For me at least it seems that way..
I find it really difficult to believe in miracles even though i have heard testimonies and stories about others who experienced miracles from God...
Not everyone experiences miracles from God..you don see christians raising up from the dead daily, you don see miracle healing happening to every christian who trust and pray and have lots and lots of faith occuring...

The verse on faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains do not seem evident to me..
I do not doubt on what God can do...but more on whether God wants to do it or not..
Because of all these doubts, all the disppointments, all the unanswered prayers, we lose sight and faith on what God can actually do in our life.

For me personally, in the past and some periods of my life, i will be very enthusiastic about evangelism...
things like school evangelistic event or even street e, i will be willing to sacrifice time to go and do it..
but as the times i try passes me by and no one that i shared to are like interested to know about christ..
i find that no matter how much i try, how much i pray for my friends and family, it doesn't seem to work, they are like unmoved..

Not only that, i started to feel how incapable i am as i see so many other christians out there who can speak better and organise events who can bring so many people to christ, who can pray really impactful prayers, who can do lead, who can encourage and do so many so many things that i cannot...
I started to lose faith in what i can do...started to lose faith in what God can do with my life..
I cannot see what God has installed for me at all..what is see is myself being very incapable..


As i was singing this song, i realised that the main reason why the boy decided to surrender all the food that he have and decided to trust in Jesus to feed the thousands is because he saw Jesus...Jesus's kind face and twinkling eyes..

It is the same as us...
As long as we place our focus on Jesus and just look upon Him always, we can learn to trust and not get distracted by the other forces and things around us that pulls us down...
As long as we keep our focus on Jesus, giving Him all the glory with pure intentions, you will start to realise that he can use you to do amazing things...
You will see God using you to do things beyond your capabilities..
He will use your weakness to transform it and use it as your strength..


There is a story in the Bible (jesus walks on water)...

Matthew chap 14 verses 28 to 30, "Then Peter called out to Him, "Lord, if it's really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water. " "Yes, come," Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and waves, he was terrified and began to sink. "Save me, Lord!" he shouted."

what point am i trying to make here? I am trying to say that there was wind all around already, before peter even stepped on the water...why is it only that that certain point of time after he take a few steps then he saw the wind?

It was because his eyes was focused soely on Jesus when he took the first few steps...all his attention was on Jesus..all..

It is just like us. If we put all our attention on Jesus and placed him in focus and in the centre of everything, we will realise that we can actually do things that we can never expect ourselves to be doing..things that are out of our control but in God's control...everything around us will fall into place

If we start to get distracted by the things around us and our attention is not on God, we will realise tat we will start to sink...

Mother theresa once said, "The work will always be there, but if we do not rest and pray, we will not have the presence to do our work."

Place your attention and focus on God today! Because there is nothing more to life than Him.

God bless you^^

2 comments:

Eternal Sanctuary said...

AMEN sister preach it sis preach it!! =DDDD

Nathanael Lim said...

yep agreed with what u said. in whatever you do, commit your all and surrender it to God, putting him as your focus ... man plans, but God directs...

go watch this video too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZyq7xBaFfw

=)